Sunday, April 29, 2007

A typical day

I thought I share with you a typical day here at Tara's Babies. Dawn is cold this time of year. I arise and light my heater, and am greeted by the fluffy ball of doggy energy that is my Chow, Wong Chong. Gwena stirs slowly on the bed to my left after some snuggling I let them out and start my morning prayers and mediation. After this is done with a clear mind, I leash up my pack and head to the ranch house for a good cup of strong coffee. On the way I am greeted by various barks and howls as I pass the dog compound. Fully caffeinated I head out to the dog yard. Here once again I am greeted by friendly barks and wagging tails as I start my morning chores. Sometimes if I head out before the other volunteers I am greeted by the sight of Hailey wagging her tail. Normally this feral pit mix rescued from Hurricane Katrina is very scared of people and will bark aggressively at them. Over my time here her and I have come to a truce and she has learned to partly trust me. So when I am by myself she will respond happily to my presence. When she gets freaked out by anthor person usually a reassuring word from me will stop her barking. I grab the water hose and start to fill their pails with fresh water after this is done and the poop is all cleaned from the pens the real fun begins. Walking time, the dogs are full of energy ready to sniff run and romp either underneath the tall Sycamores that line Gordon Creek or along the road side. Entering their cage I tell them to sit while I get on the leash. Then sit them again before we leave the compound, then heeling them to my left we are off once past the bustle of the compound I relax my hold on them and let them explore more freely. We usually walk about 7 dogs each in the morning. Once this is done we take some time to eat. Then do odd cores until lunch time. Then when the sun is high overhead the air warm and the birds are singing in the oaks we head back out to train and socialize the dogs. Our walkers we take into the old coral and let them romp and teaching them to come sit and stay. Our friendly dogs are allowed to play together under supervision at this time. Then we go into the pens with the feral dogs to get them used to interacting with us. Most days I take either Gwena or Wong with me. This is their work time they play and socialize with the ferals while I am in the cage. Usually this allows me to get closer and even sometimes touch the feral dogs which seem to trust me more when I interact with my pack. Next it is dinner time for all the dogs. I take my pack back home and feed them. Then go out to prepare the food for all the dogs. We feed the walkers first making them earn their food by sitting. For the ferals we go into their cages and hand feed them,this is one of the main tools we have to help socialize them. After everyone one is done and clean up is done. I grab my dog pack and head off into the woods and hills for our evening family time. Then supper for me then a bath a good book followed by mediation before turning in for the night. I am tried at the end of the day mostly but always happy about being able to help and work with these wonderful dogs.
WRITTEN BY RAVEN Nov 06

No comments: