Sunday, April 29, 2007

Philly

Philly is a shy and sweet dog who is one of our feral dogs here. With her reddish golden long fur coat,high forehead and pointed ears she looks a lot like a fox. I have been working with her for a while and she has progressed from hand feeding to being able to be walked. Once I get a feral dog to the stage where I can walk them the next step I take is to put them into the house for total immersion training.This allows them to get comfortable with me and other dogs so they can be adopted into a loving home. Philly has now taken that step. She was a little overwhelmed at the sudden change at first. Over the last few days she is starting to relax into her new role. First I introduced her to my pack starting with Wong the lower dog in my pack once I am assured that they get along fine then I introduce the Alpha Gwena.Both of them are really good with other dogs and don't mind sharing their home with newcomers. Gwena loves to play one of the first thing she like to do with the new dogs is to take their leash and walk them so they know who is in charge besides me. I have learned it is better to let the dog approach me at there own pace. Most of the dogs I work with are good with the other dogs but not sure of humans. I let the trust build by letting them watch me interact with my pack. The also learn to come to me this way. I am always around when the dogs interact to check any aggression if I have to go away I keep them apart. Last night Philly slept at the foot of my bed curled up with Wong. Today while I was petting Wong Phillyy came up to me sniffed my hand and let me pet her. My heat soared at this one her frist steps to becoming a compaion dog. Over the next couple of months as she learns to trust me and other humans I will start to work with her on basic training. Of course my dogs will help show her the ropes, after that she will be ready for a lovinig forever home of her own.
WRITTEN BY RAVEN NOV 06

No comments: