Sunday, April 29, 2007

Khen

I wanted to start this blog with the story of our newest dog here at the sanctuary. His name is Khen. Khen a large all white Lethal Aussie lab mix is mostly blind and deaf. He was abandoned on private property bordering on National forest land. The locals that found him a first took him to the local humane society where they were told that the only option for a blind dog was euthanasia. Having big hearts and not wishing to send him to that fate they asked a neighbor who had heard of us if they thought we could take him. Towards sunset after a trying day at work for me a red pick up pulled into our driveway not getting many visitors out here I was curious. I was greeted by a young man and his father who quickly filled me in on the details and asked if we had room for a dog. My answer was yes we could and we quickly created room for him. I was greeted by a very frightened and wounded dog. He had gotten into a fight with another dog and had wounds all over his body including a large infected one on his neck. We worked into the night, gladly giving first aid water and food to him. Once fed and a little more comfortable he relaxed and showed his true lovable self. After many belly pats and words of love and praise to him , weary but elated at having helped save his life and provide him with a safe place we turned in for the night. Khen slept exhausted from his ordeal. The next morning we found out though blind he was a very good escape artist. Afraid of being left alone and frightend by the barks of all the other dogs in the compound he managed to escape 6 times the first day. Realizing that this fellow needed the special care that an indoor home could provide. I deiced to introduce him to my pack of dogs, Gwena my lovable female pit and Wong Chong my once feral chow. I will tell you Wong and Gwenas' stories on a latter posting. After seeing that he was non -aggressive I deiced to foster him until we can find him a loving home. Since them he has fit rather well into my pack after a few minor scuffles with Wong. This lovable boy is looking for a loving and understanding home where he can get the care and love he needs if you are interested please contact the Tara's Babies web site for further info.The website is www.tarasbabies.org.
POST WRITTEN BY RAVEN NOV 06.

No comments: